Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Soccer: a language of the world

Hey Guys,

I guess it is week four and our invention is still strong. We see
about 60 women daily. So far, I feel that it has been a successful
intervention. Many mothers are really excited to see their baby on the
ultrasound machine. Unfortunately, some mothers find out they have some
complications including many fetuses in the breech position. Also we
have seen some women who believe they are pregnant but the ultrasound
scan reveals that they are not pregnant. When reading their body
language, I gather that they are very sad and perplexed at this
conclusion. On one occasion, there was a mother who did not know her
unborn baby had died. It was heartbreaking for her to find this out
We created a survey to establish baseline data that highlights what
the needs are in the community. It has been a pain to get that started
but finally it is in full swing. Furthermore, some of the students
started conducting focus groups. While I doubted the use of the focus
group at first, I believe that it showing some of the cultural reasons
behind the findings of the survey.
At one of the health clinics we work, there is a nearby refugee camp
housing people from Rwanda. These refugees came to Uganda through
Tanzania. Last year, I did not have a chance to see a camp so this is a
new site for me. A group of students including me visited the camp on
our break from the intervention. It was interesting to see the
make-shift houses (more like tents) and I wondered how these people
lived. After all, they are squatting the land. We ended up playing
soccer with most of the kids. Thank God that I'm blessed with the
knowledge of the game and some (very little) skill. Soccer has always
been a good way to reach out to the community. More to come later.

-Peace

2 comments:

Dawn Marshall said...

Hey Jesse, The title of your article caught my eye but the story touched my heart. I believe that at the moment of conception God sends the persons spirit to the womb (Jeremiah 29:11). That is the grief that you see the mothers going through. That child and their calling will not be fulfilled. As a Mom who has lost three children to miscarriage, I understand the loss that the women feel. I also understand the joy that you are bringing to those women with the ultrasound. With our third son, we had a 3D ultrasound- I was like peaking in with God to see the face of your son. What a blessing that you are bringing to that area. Pray for you each morning. It looks like all is well - same here all is well. Love, Mrs. Dawn

meloi017 said...

Jesse! You're awesome. The end.
~marquise